Monday, August 01, 2005

Dementors and Bludgers and Muggles, oh my!


I finally finished reading The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber. At almost a thousand pages, that in itself was no easy task. I really liked it. Set in Victorian London and centered around the life of a 19-year-old prostitute, the characters are amazing and the descriptions of period costume, habits, and social stations are fascinating. It's a simple enough story, rather hard to imagine that it could cover so many pages, actually. But it rolls along at a good clip, and is told with such depth and detail that it's easy to become immersed. A few of the lesser characters and their plot lines drag a bit, but not nearly enough to cause boredom. It's easily made up for by the unbelieveable lives of the more key characters. A good read! Soon I will be moving on to Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters, as I begin yet another adventure (this time about a lesbian music-hall singer) into the steamy underbelly of Victorian London. But in the meantime I must read the new Harry Potter book The Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling. A new Harry Potter never fails to deliver a solid, fun, and exciting read.


In other news, we're in our second week of swimming lessons for Jack and Max. They're both doing great. They love playing the games and they're comfortable in the pool, but they're not keen at all on getting their heads underwater. I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to begin lessons. Zöe and I join the boys for free swim when their lesson is over, and we all play in the pool together. Today the boys made great advances in submerging themselves all the way up to their ears! Woo hoo! I think they're inspired by their little sister, for Zöe Dott is emerging as the true water-baby of the family. She floats on her belly with only a little support underneath, and spends most of the time with her face IN the water, blowing bubbles and drinking the yummy pool juice. I think I'll start her with some parent/child lessons in the fall.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

those books sound so interesting . . . some more to add to my "must read" list

rebecca

Anonymous said...

Hi Meegan

All your kids are very cute my daughter must be only a few months or a year or so behind zoe. Im looking forward to "blowing bubbles" in the pool. Right now about all we do is "motor boat". She loves it though - frog kicks and screams the whole way.

Eric told me about your blog and I have been thinking about starting one for family photos so I thought I would pop in and take a look. It looks great!

See you all soon,

Doug Parent

Anonymous said...

hey han, I'm reading the new Harry Potter right now myself. I can hardly motivate to do anything but. Love you.
Sam

Anonymous said...

Hi Meegan!!! I LOVE your blog!! I'm going to write you an email, but I have so say - just read Tipping the Velvet - EXCELLENT.

more in my email ... xoSarah (Coutts)