Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Sno-Cone Zone


Somehow we made it through six years of parenting without our kids indulging in such a simple, classic treat as the sno-cone. It's most certainly not that we are against sweets, ice cream, candy, or the like. Au contraire! More likely it's that our boys are pretty picky, even when it comes to "fun" foods. I recently begged Jack to try some Reese's Pieces because I knew he'd love them. I know, that was pretty stupid wasn't it? But I tell you, the kid is disturbingly suprising. He totally spit them out in disgust.


Thankfully, Zöe Dott is our prize-winning eater. There's nothing she won't try and very little she doesn't like. It's so much fun to giver her new foods and watch her investigate, sample, and attack with delight. Maybe I'm more mellow about choking/messes/etc. this third time around, maybe her personality is just a little more daring, or maybe it's a combination of both. At any rate, I guess for now we'll just have to settle for one out of three in the adventurous eating category.



Today after soccer all of our friends went over to the cute little sno-cone stand by the swimming pool at the park. I thought for sure my boys wouldn't be interested, but they were. Even after Jack learned that they didn't have chocolate flavor, he decided to try one anyway (strawberry and cherry mixed). He was very pleased with his experimentation, as was Max. Zöe was just happy to have something sweet and messy to dump upside down onto her shirt. I'm sure we'll be having one again tomorrow. Now we just need to work on getting the boys to try a hamburger, macaroni and cheese, or a turkey sandwich. Maybe if we put it in a cone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM! I love sno cones, but don't have antwhere near me to get one. Alack, Alas! Glad you're all partaking! Katy

Anonymous said...

This picture of Max cracks me up! What a tough guy!