Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Many thanks. Now...let's run!

Thanks folks, for your kind words and encouragement. I'm so happy that this blog continues to be a fixture in my life, and that my dear Bloggie and I have worked out a balance that works for us. Sometimes I post, sometimes I don't, it's all okay. Thank you guys for checking in with me from time to time. It's always nice to hear from all of you.

So, about that giveaway. I put all of the names in a hat, and Jack picked...JMac!!! Yippee! I guess the forces have a clever way of working, don't they? Now I can finally pay you back for the awesome shirt that's enjoying it's third go-around on Zöe. I'll email you later, Jen, with details. Congrats! A great excuse for a get-together dontcha think?

Now for something totally different. My brother and Nicole got me a really nifty gadget for my birthday. Have you heard of Nike+? It has completely re-invigorated my running training! You can download stats from each of your runs to keep track of things like distance, pace, calories burned, etc. It works in connection with the iPod Nano, so you get great tunes to boot. And you can specify what song you want for your "Powersong" to kick in a boost when you really need it. I swear, technology rocks so hard.



So I've been having fun gathering running songs for my playlist, preferably ones with a good beat that make me want to move. I've got some pretty eclectic tastes. Here are a few from my list that you might enjoy:

1. I Want Candy - Bow Wow Wow
2. Take Your Mama - Scissor Sisters
3. Pump It - Black Eyed Peas
4. I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred
5. Wannabe - Spice Girls
6. Here it Goes Again - Ok Go
7. It's a Beautiful Life - Ace of Base
8. Sexyback - Justin Timberlake
9. Such Great Heights - Postal Service
10. Vacation - Go gos
11. Girlfriend - Avril Lavigne
12. Light and Day - Polyphonic Spree
13. Take on me - Aha
14. Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves
15. Move on Up - Curtis Mayfield

Please leave a comment and tell me what song (or songs) really get you in the mood to run, jump, skip, dance, twirl or do some step aerobics. I'm always scouting for new or forgotten tunes. Happy groovin'!

Edited to add: I just ran this morning with some new additions to my playlist (thanks Erica!). When I finished my workout I was surprised to hear Paula Radcliffe pop into my iPod, lovely Brittish accent and all, to congratulate me on a new personal best for the mile! Woohoo! Seriously, how did I ever run without this fun gadget?!?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it as easy as that?
Find a great song that gets you in the mood. I'm hoping to get in the mood for exercise in Spring.
I love your playlist.
What about MC Hammer "Can't touch this" ?
Anything in the 80's and 90's for me.
My son bought his sister a great compilation CD for her birthday that I will definately be putting on to my mp3 player.

E R I C A said...

Some other choices:

"Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley

"Since You've Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson

"Staying Alive" by the Bee Gees

"I like to move it, move it" (not sure of the actual title, but they play the song in the Madagascar movie)

"Smack That" by Akon

"Fighter" by Christina Aguillera

That's all I can think of now, but there's a ton of fast songs that I like to work out to!

Erica
(Reni's daughter)

E R I C A said...

Oops, I forgot the most appropriate one....

"I ran" by Flock of Seagulls

Can't believe I forgot that one!!

Erica

Chickenbells said...

Oh, I love my Nano...just having it has inspired me to walk more, but the Nike thing? I'm going to have to check that out...

I love all the 80's music from my youth...and I'm a huge Techno fan as well...they always get me pumping!

Anonymous said...

I noticed that "Eye of the Tiger" is missing.

Not sure if I should admit this but one of my favorite work out songs right now is "Get'cha Head in the Game" from High School Musical. It really does work every time.

Sasser said...

Meegan-

Thanks for the sweet comments and the vote for "Zoe Sasser"! I was going to email you and ask if you think that would be too crazy to have 2 Zoe's in the family... we LOVE the name! And, your Zoe is the cutest thing ever!

I have to tell you that I lurk on your blog all the time. I will leave more comments! I always have craft envy when I visit yours and some of the links that you post. I LOVE to do crafts, mainly quilting, photography, and scrapbooking...I am not too brave with the sewing machine. However, now that I have a little more free time I keep thinking I need to step up the challenge. :-)

I too LOVE the ipod Nike tool. Of course, I'm not making good use of it these days. But, hopefully after baby I'll get my running legs back. That gadget is the best though and I have used it to track walks even. There are a few personal trainer websites that allow you to download workouts right onto the ipod. Those are fun too.

We'll have to get together next time we're in Portland! I would love to meet Zoe (and the other rascals) in person! Thanks again for keeping in touch.

Kate

Chengdus & Don'ts said...

On my work-out list my I would have to say my favorite, get me in the mood to run song would be Rob Zombie's Dragula. I also have Basket Case and Minority from Green Day. The guitar really gets me going.

Hola, I'm JMac: said...

wow!! I never win anything! Thanks! And, thanks for posting on the Nike+, will definitely come in handy and help keep me motivated (which I'm severely lacking as of late). Here are a few tunes I like to run to:

Lady--Lenny Kravitz
All Night--Damian Marley
You can do it--Ice Cube
Whiskey in the Jar--Metallica
Wake Up--Rage against the machine
The Underdog--Spoon
Love in an Elevator--Aerosmith
Work It--Missy Elliott
Rock Star--Hole

hooray! Thanks again and tell Jack he rocks!

Crabby Amy said...

Ok....it's always good to hear other peoples suggestions! Reading the comments above, I forgot all about "Dragula" and am promptly going to download it! (I just downloaded "Whiskey In the Jar") I am also so glad I am not the only one with Ace of Base, A-ha, and the Go-Gos on my Ipod!!!

Other current faves:
Hot Lunch Jam -- Irene Cara (from "Fame")
Add It Up -- Violent Femmes
This is not a Love Song-- Public Image LTD
Angels on the Balcony-- Blondie
O' Valencia-- The Decemberists

oooh...guess I should do my own post huh??!? :)

laura capello said...

i was really grooving on your list until i saw avril. seriously? avril?

;-)

and i take it the cure wouldn't make you dance and skip?