Friday, March 10, 2006

Photobooth Friday #6: Us

Oh, how I love this man. It's pretty hard to believe that it was fourteen years ago that we took these photos. So much life we've lived since then!

It was my Senior year at Scripps College, in Claremont, California. I'd just returned from my study-abroad in York, England and getting back to London was just about all that was on my mind. I was serving coffee in The Motley (our campus fueling spot) when he ambled in. We chatted over the counter about music, The Gypsy Kings, and I was smitten. I remember stocking the coolers with soda and lemonade, all the while watching the reflection in the glass of him, sitting outside laughing with his friends. They were Grad Students. I loved his face, his glasses, such a smile, an easygoing manner, his laugh. We met again at an art party where he made me laugh and laugh. And when the evening was ending and it was Southern California cold, he offered me his shirt to keep me warm. I had to laugh again, and happily accept his asking permission for a kiss with such sweet Midwestern manners. We've been together ever since. I knew then that I wanted to marry him. I knew then that he'd be a fantastic dad. And he surpasses my expectations as a husband and a father with each and every day. I've loved him from that very first moment.

This photo was taken in the Photobooth on Balboa Island. It was the only place outside of Claremont that I knew how to get to, and even then I recall getting very, very lost. The 10 freeway, to the 210, freeway , to the 5 freeway? We got a lot better about getting around in the 10 years we spent in Los Angeles after we were finished with school. But nonetheless I think this may have been our first outside-of-Claremont date. Dinner at BJ's Pizza, a walk on the pier, photos in the booth, video games, and a ride on the Ferris Wheel. I was giddy with happiness, excited for our future, both arms around his waist as we tried to walk along. And I still am. Although now my arms have so many sweet little hands to hold, and I have to smile remembering our awkward hugging hobble of being just two. Only in my most glittery imagination could I envison all that our love would create, shining in that one brief flash-bulb moment when we stepped into the booth for our photo.

12 comments:

beki said...

What a touching post. How lucky you both are to have found each other!

It makes me think of my own relationship with my husband. I knew from the very early days of our courtship that he was the one for me.

Double Garage said...

More tears . . .

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! The whole story. Your expresisons are PRCIELESS!!

Diz Rivera said...

Isn't it so funny how The Moment just happens? One minute we're wiping down counters the next, we've met our soulmate. Great story. And yes! Balboa Island, just like you said when I posted my picture from there. Isn't that weird? We've sat on the same seat?

Wait -- I'm having one of those days where Everything is Weird. Just excuse me . . .

Anonymous said...

Look at that -- you look just like Zoe in the picture below. So great.

Jan Halvarson said...

how wonderful! all this photobooth love!

angela said...

wow, how romantic! i love your fun filled faces and beautiful writing

andrea said...

so much love in this photo! so much youth and fun and love. your words here are beautiful too.

Anonymous said...

Shut up! Here I was just seeking out Meegan Sasser to contact and catch up and I get the "whole scoop!" I really can't believe that it is you and your sweet family all before my eyes....crazy! Please email me with your email address - krissyran@msn.com....I would really like to catch up with you and hug you from a distance! Kisses, kristin ransom

Joanna said...

What a neat post! Love hearing about your history...and the picture is great!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the visit. hope you post some pics of your house so i can see. the entry about your parents was very touching.

Double Garage said...

I just noticed that, except for the ubiquitous extended tongue, that photo is the same as Zöe below.